Monday 31 March 2014

Mata's Monday Blog

Hi everyone!

I have enjoyed a relaxed Sunday, it’s been a nice day to take a breath and think things over. In football, and also in life, is good to put some distance every now and then, to take some perspective, because everything goes too fast. You should not fall into despair after losing one game or think you are the best after winning another one. Once the season ends it will be time to evaluate things, but I must admit that last Saturday in Old Trafford was a great joy.

Our win on Saturday was special because we went from 0-1 down to prove to ourselves all the things we are capable of. We know our position in the table is not what the club and the fans deserve, but we are working to improve it.

Tuesday is just a great day to consolidate that work although, as you know, I am cup-tied for the Champions League for the rest of the season. Bayern is a massive opponent, but United has never feared any rival. I will be supporting my team-mates from the stands once more. We are going to try to win the Champions League but Bayern is a superb squad. We must play a very good game in Old Trafford.

Unfortunately, Thiago Alcántara will miss the tie. He is a good footballer; we won together the under-21 Eurocup in Denmark in 2011, a tournament that brings me great memories. I hope Thiago recovers as soon as possible of the injury he suffered on Saturday.

I also want to send a big bug from here to Víctor Valdés, another team-mate with the national squad with whom I’ve shared one World Cup, one Eurocup and one Confederations Cup, plus many more official and friendly games. He is a great goalkeeper and he will keep proving it the next season, I’m sure.

After playing Bayern we will have another challenging game at Newcastle. St James’ Park is one of the biggest stadiums in the Premier League and a good place to try to improve our position in the table. I think the Premiership title, after these last results, is going to be decided between Liverpool and City.

Thank you once again for your support. Big hug!

Juan

No comments:

Post a Comment